Home | New | About Us | Categories | Policy | Links
Time Passages Nostalgia Company
Ron Toth, Jr., Proprietor
72 Charles Street
Rochester, New Hampshire 03867-3413
Phone: 1-603-335-2062
Email: ron.toth@timepassagesnostalgia.com
Search for:  
Select from:  
Show:  at once pictures only 
previous page
 Found 6 items 
next page
(9) 1959 - 1964 Sturbridge Village Massachusetts Advertising Guest Card Press Passes
Item #i882
Price: $49.99 
$5.00 shipping & handling
For Sale
Click here now for this limited time offer
Check Out With PayPalSee Our Store Policy

My items on eBay

Collectable Appraisals
Any group of items being offered as a lot must be sold as a lot.
Quality Packing And
Postal Insurance
Quality Merchandise At Reasonable Prices
It's never too late to
have a happy childhood!
Quantity Discount Prices
(when available)
An Ever Changing Inventory
Combined Shipping And Handling
We have an extensive inventory that is not yet on our web site. If there is something you are looking for and did not find, please send us your wish list.
(9) 1959 - 1964 Sturbridge Village Massachusetts Advertising Guest Card Press Passes
Guest   Card   Press   News   Newspaper   Pass   Paper   Ephemera   Photographer   Photography   Advertising   Sturbridge   Village   Massachusetts   Vermont   New Hampshire   New England   Museum   History   Historic   Antique
The picture shows a view of all (9) 1959 - 1964 Sturbridge Village Massachusetts Advertising Guest Card Press Passes in this lot. All of the cards are dated. These were all issued to the same man, Frank Usin, who was a Photographer for various Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire newspapers. The 1964 card has his name misspelled. Each card had admitted two guests. The cards have typed names, signatures, and stamped signatures from a Publicity Director. These have the newspaper that he was employed by and one is from the National Press Photographers Association (N.P.P.A.). The cards are marked as follows:

1962 - NPPA (National Press Photographers Association)

The cards vary slightly in size, but they measure about 3-7/8'' x 2-1/4''. They appear to be in excellent used condition as pictured. Below here, for reference, is some additional information about Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts:

Old Sturbridge Village
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old Sturbridge Village (OSV) is a living museum located in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, in the United States, which recreates life in rural New England during the 1790s through 1830s. It is the largest living museum in New England, covering more than 200 acres. The Village includes 59 antique buildings, three water powered mills, and a working farm. The museum is a popular tourist and educational field trip destination. Costumed interpreters speaking in modern language help visitors understand 19th century life.

History Before the village
Prior to European colonization, the Nipmuck people inhabited the Quinebaug region of which OSV is a part. In the early 19th century, the land on which Old Sturbridge Village now stands was a farm owned by David Wight. The farm included a sawmill, gristmill and a millpond which survives to this day. The millpond, which still powers the mills, was dug in 1795. In 1795, David Wight's son went to Boston to conduct some business on behalf of his father. While in Boston he bought some tickets to the Harvard Lottery, which was set up as a fundraising technique for then Harvard College (now Harvard University). He won $5,000 (roughly $63,000 in today's money). He gave his father money to pay off the mortgage on his farm and logged the timber of the cedar swamp which today is the millpond. After the logging was complete, they dug the pond with a team of oxen and a scoop. This entire process took two and a half years.

George Washington Wells started a small spectacle shop in Southbridge, Massachusetts in the 1840s which became the American Optical Company. His three sons, Channing M., Albert B. ''AB'', and J. Cheney Wells, followed him into the business, which continued to expand. In 1926, AB began to shop for antiques. This influenced Cheney to collect early American timepieces and Channing to collect fine furniture. By the early 1930s AB had more than 45 rooms full of antiques in his Southbridge home. In 1935 AB, along with his brothers, family members and associates, formed the Wells Historical Museum. The Museum was given title to the various collections and charged with the care and exhibition of the artifacts. In July 1936 the Museum's trustees met to determine the how the collections would best be presented to the public. AB wanted to create a small cluster of buildings in a horseshoe around a common. His son George B. proposed ''a revolutionary idea''. AB later said of George, ''He pointed out that the historical value of the things I'd been collecting was tremendous, provided that it could be put to proper usage... He suggested that to make this material valuable it would be necessary to have a village, a live village, one with different shops operating... it was essential to have water power''. J. Cheney Wells pledged his clocks and other items and to help ''in every way I can to develop a village along the lines that George suggests''. It is believed that various members of the family had visited European folk museums, including Skansen in Stockholm, Sweden, which led to the genesis for what was to become Old Sturbridge Village.

Within a week of the meeting, the Museum purchased David Wight's farm and within a few months hired Malcolm Watkins as the museum's first curator. Architect Arthur Shurcliff was called in to help lay out a suitable country landscape. By 1941, the Fitch House, the Miner Grant Store and the Richardson House (now the Parsonage) were on the common and the Gristmill was in operation. After a pause for World War II, Ruth Wells, George B.'s wife, became Acting Director of the Village. Quinnebaug Village became Old Sturbridge Village and it opened on June 8, 1946.

The Early Years
Word of mouth
Attendance climbed, mostly through word of mouth. In a 1950 article in The Saturday Evening Post, OSV was featured as ''The Town That Wants to be Out of Date''.

Adding buildings
By 1955, OSV acquired the Meetinghouse from the Fiskdale neighborhood of Sturbridge, the Salem Towne House from Charlton, the Fenno House, the Friends Meetinghouse, the Pliny Freeman House, the Printing Office and the District School.

The hurricane
On August 18, 1955, gale force winds and a torrential downpour from Hurricane Diane created flood waters that broke dams in surrounding towns and flooded the Village. Fifteen staff members were stranded by the rising waters. The Freeman Farmhouse was flooded and the Covered Bridge was swept off its foundation. Helicopters kept staff members supplied for three days until the waters receded. The damage was estimated to be $250,000 in 1955 dollars. With great effort, Village employees managed to reopen the Village in just nine days.

Old Sturbridge Village today
In response to declining attendance, shrinking endowments and rising operating costs, OSV has changed its presentation of history. Gone are the ''movie set'' displays with a fixed range of dialog. In their place, interpreters engage visitors in a more personal and interactive process, encouraging them to actively participate. The museum continues to add interactive exhibits such as a wintertime ice rink, baseball games, and a Christmas time celebration.

Structures and Exhibits
Old Sturbridge Village has over 40 structures, including restored buildings purchased and relocated from across New England and some authentic reconstructions. The village is divided into three main sections. The Center Village represents the center of town, with the town green as its focal point. Countryside consists of outlying farms and shops. The Mill Neighborhood features various commercial structures that rely upon a millpond for their power.

Center Village
The Center Village contains the following structures:
Friends Meetinghouse - a meetinghouse of the Religious Society of Friends, also known as Quakers.
Center Meetinghouse - churches often served as a location for town meetings, elections, lectures, and political events.
Tin Shop - tin, purchased from England was used to make a variety of household goods.
Salem Towne House - a prosperous farmer's home.
Law Office - a small, free standing office of a lawyer.
Parsonage - the home of a Congregational minister and his family.
Asa Knight Store - a country store, transported from its original location in Vermont.
Thompson Bank - a bank that was originally located in Thompson, Connecticut.
Fenno House - an historic house with exhibits that highlight domestic textile production.
Fitch House - the residence with exhibit elements that highlight children and family life.
Small House - a small home based on those of less affluent families, people of color, newlyweds, and renters.
Printing Office
Cider Mill - a horse powered mill for the production of hard cider.
Shoe Shop - an historic ten footer, which was a small backyard shop structure built in the 18th and 19th centuries in New England to serve as a shoemaker's shop. The name came from the fact that it was usually 10 feet by 10 feet in area. The ten footers were forerunners of the large shoe factories that developed in New England later in the 19th century.
Town Pound - for the confinement of livestock wandering around town or on other farmer's property.
Bullard Tavern - an early 19th century tavern room.
The Stage Coach - On May 23, 2008, a stage coach marked ''Hartford & Worcester'' started making trips through Center Village. Guests can ride in the stagecoach for $3.00 per rider.

The Countryside
The Countryside features the following structures:
Freeman Farm - A typical New England farm of 70 acres or so, with barn, outbuildings, and fields.
Blacksmith Shop - a shop where farm implements and other hardware were made and repaired and horses and oxen were shod.
Bixby House - the home of the blacksmith.
Cooper Shop - many farmers had part time trades such as coopering - making wooden barrels, buckets, and pails.
Pottery Shop - New England potters made utilitarian items such as Redware milkpans, mugs, crocks, flowerpots, and mixing bowls out of local clay.
District School - a typical publicly funded one-room school.
Covered Bridge - Covered bridges extended the longevity of wooden bridges in the harsh New England weather.

The Mill Neighborhood
Mill Neighborhood features the following structures:
Gristmill - uses water power to turn a 3,000 pound millstone for grinding grain.
Sawmill - a working replica of an ''up and down'' sawmill powered by a reaction type waterwheel.
Carding Mill - a water driven facility to prepare wool for spinning.

Old Sturbridge Village has several buildings devoted to displaying their assorted collections of early American antiques.
Firearms - many displays feature firearms from colonial America through the post Civil War era.
Glass - three distinct categories of displays: blown glass, molded glass and pressed glass.
Lighting Devices - early lighting devices from ancient oil lamps and candles to whale oil, camphene and argand lamps.
Herb Garden - a living collection of native and heirloom varieties of ornamental plants and those used for cooking, medicine, dying cloth, and making traditional crafts.

Click on image to zoom.
(9) 1959 - 1964 Sturbridge Village Massachusetts Advertising Guest Card Press Passes

Powered by Nose The Hamster (0.06,1)
Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 21:11:51 [ 81 0.05 0.06]
1997-2022, Time Passages Nostalgia Company / Ron Toth, Jr., All rights reserved