Home | New | About Us | Categories | Policy | Links
Time Passages Nostalgia Company
Ron Toth, Jr., Proprietor
72 Charles Street
Rochester, New Hampshire 03867-3413
Phone: 1-603-335-2062
Email: ron.toth@timepassagesnostalgia.com
 
Search for:  
Select from:  
Show:  at once pictures only 
previous page
 Found 48 items 
next page
Old Enameled R.M.S. Mauretania Ship Advertising Souvenir Pin
Item #f434
Sold
Click here now for this limited time offer
Any group of items being offered as a lot must be sold as a lot.
Check Out With PayPalSee Our Store Policy

My items on eBay

Collectable Appraisals
You can feel secure
shopping with PayPal.
Quantity Discount Prices
(when available)
All Original Items.
No Reproductions
Don't forget to
bookmark this site.
Gift Certificate
Unique & Fun Nostalgic Items
 
This item is already soldOld Enameled R.M.S. Mauretania Ship Advertising Souvenir Pin
R.M.S. Mauretania   Cunard   White Star   Ocean Liner   Cruise Ship   Ship   World War II   Military   War   British   Great Britain   England   English   Advertising   Souvenir   Pin   Jewelry   Nautical   Transportation   Nostalgic   History   Historic
The picture shows a view of this Old Enameled R.M.S. Mauretania Ship Advertising Souvenir Pin. The pin is not dated but it is old. The ship served civilian and military service from 1907 to 1934. It has two flags and a ship's wheel or helm. The pin is enameled in red and white on a gold colored metal. The back has no markings. The front is marked as follows:

R.M.S. MAURETANIA

The pin measures about 1-1/8'' wide. It appears to be in mint condition as pictured. Below here, for reference, is some Historical information about the R.M.S. Mauretania:

R.M.S. Mauretania
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Career

Name: RMS Mauretania (1906), HMS Tuberose (1918 - 1919)
Owner: Cunard Line
Port of registry: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Builder: Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Wallsend, Tyne and Wear
Laid down: 1904
Launched: 20 September 1906
Christened: 20 September 1906, by the Duchess of Roxburghe
Maiden voyage: 16 November 1907
Fate: Retired from service September 1934, scrapped in 1935 at Rosyth, Scotland

General characteristics
Class and type: Ocean liner
Tonnage: 31,938
Length: 790 feet (240.8 m)
Beam: 88 ft (26.8 m)
Installed power: Direct action Parsons steam turbines (two high pressure, two low pressure), 68,000 SHP (shaft horsepower) nominal at launch, 76,000 SHP on record run, later increased to 90,000 SHP after conversion to oil burning
Propulsion: Quadruple propeller installation triple bladed design at launch changed soon after to four bladed versions. Astern turbines available on inboard shafts only.
Speed: 24 knots (46 km/h) designed service speed
Capacity: 2165 passengers total: 563 first class, 464 second class, 1138 third class
Crew: 802

The R.M.S. Mauretania (also known as the ''Maury'') was an ocean liner built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson at Wallsend, Tyne and Wear for the British Cunard Line, and launched on 20 September 1906. At the time, she was the largest and fastest ship in the world. Mauretania became a favourite among her passengers. After capturing the Blue Riband for the fastest transatlantic crossing during her 1907 inaugural season, Mauretania held the speed record for twenty-two years. The ship's name was taken from Mauretania, an ancient Roman province on the northwest African coast, not related to the modern Mauritania. Similar nomenclature was also employed by Mauretania's sister ship, the Lusitania, which was named after the Roman province directly north of Mauretania, across the Strait of Gibraltar.

Overview

In 1897 the German liner S.S. Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse became the largest and fastest ship in the world. With a speed of 22 knots (41 km/h), it captured the Blue Riband from Cunard Line's Campania and Lucania. At around the same time American financier J. P. Morgan's International Mercantile Marine Company was attempting to monopolize the shipping trade, and had already acquired Britain's other major transatlantic line White Star. In the face of these threats the Cunard Line was determined to regain the prestige of ocean travel back not only to the company, but also to Great Britain. In 1903, Cunard Line and the British government reached an agreement to build two superliners, the Lusitania and Mauretania, with a guaranteed service speed of no less than 24 knots, the British government were to loan £2,600,000 for the construction of Mauretania and Lusitania at an interest rate of 2.75% to be paid back over twenty years with a stipulation that the ships could be converted to Armed Merchant Cruisers if needed; also to fund these ships further the admiralty arranged for Cunard to be paid an additional £150,000 per year to their mail subsidy.

Design and Construction

The Mauretania was designed by Cunard naval architect Leonard Peskett with Swan Hunter working from the plans for an ocean greyhound with a stipulated service speed of twenty-four knots in moderate weather for her mail subsidy contract. Peskett's original configuration for the ships in 1903 was a three funnel design when reciprocating engines were destined to be the powerplant. A giant model of the ships in this configuration appeared in Shipbuilder's magazine. Cunard in 1904 decided to change powerplants to Parson's new turbine technology and Peskett then implemented a fourth funnel to the ship's profile as the ships design was again modified before construction of the vessel finally began.

In 1906, Mauretania was launched by the Duchess of Roxburghe. At the time of her launch, she was the largest moving structure yet built, and slightly larger in gross tonnage than her sister Lusitania. The main visual differences between Mauretania and Lusitania was that Mauretania was five feet longer and had different vents (Mauretania had cowl vents and the Lusitania had oil drum shaped vents). Mauretania also had two extra stages of turbine blades in her forward turbines making her slightly faster than the Lusitania. The Mauretania and Lusitania were the only ships with direct drive steam turbines to hold the Blue Riband; in later ships, reduction geared turbines were mainly used. Mauretania's usage of the steam turbine was the largest yet application of the then new technology, developed by Charles Algernon Parsons. During speed trials, these engines caused significant vibration at high speeds; in response, Mauretania received strengthening members and redesigned propellers before entering service, which reduced vibration.

Mauretania was designed to suit Edwardian tastes, with twenty eight different types of wood used in her public rooms, along with marble, tapestries, and other furnishings. Wood paneling for her first class public rooms was meticulously carved by three hundred craftsmen from Palestine. The multi level first class dining saloon was decorated in Francis I style and topped by a large dome skylight. A series of elevators, then a rare new feature for liners, were installed next to Mauretania's grand staircase. A new feature was the Verandah Café on the boat deck, where passengers were served beverages in a weather protected environment.

Early career

Mauretania left Liverpool on her maiden voyage on 16 November 1907 under the command of her first captain, John Pritchard and later that month captured the record for the fastest eastbound crossing of the Atlantic with an average speed of 23.69 knots (43.87 km/h). In September 1909, the Mauretania captured the Blue Riband for the fastest westbound crossing, a record that was to stand for more than two decades. In December 1910 Mauretania broke loose from her moorings while in the River Mersey and sustained damage that caused the cancellation of her special speedy Christmas voyage to New York. In a quick change of events Cunard rescheduled Mauretania's voyage for Lusitania under the command of Captain James Charles which had just returned from New York. Lusitania herself completed Christmas crossings for her sister, carrying revellers back to New York. In 1912 both King George and Queen Mary were given a special tour of Mauretania, then Britain's fastest merchant vessel, adding further distinction to the ship's reputation. On 26 January 1914, while Mauretania was in the middle of annual refit in Liverpool, four men were killed and six injured when a gas cylinder exploded while they were working on one of her steam turbines. The damage was minimal and she returned to service two months later.

World War I

Shortly after Great Britain declared war on Germany on 4 August 1914, Mauretania and Aquitania were requested by the British government to become armed merchant cruisers, but their huge size and massive fuel consumption made them unsuitable for the duty and they resumed their civilian service on 11 August. Later, due to lack of passengers crossing the Atlantic, Mauretania was laid up in Liverpool until May 1915, when her sister ship Lusitania was sunk by a German U-boat.

Mauretania was about to fill the void left by Lusitania, but she was ordered by the British government to serve as a troopship to carry British troops during the Gallipoli campaign. She avoided becoming prey for German U-boats because of her high speed and the seamanship of her crew. As a troopship, Mauretania received dazzle camouflage, a form of abstract colour scheming, in an effort to confuse enemy ships.

H.M.H.S. Mauretania

When combined forces from the British empire and France began to suffer heavy casualties, Mauretania was ordered to serve as a hospital ship, along with her fellow Cunarder Aquitania and White Star's Britannic, in order to treat the wounded until 25 January 1916. Seven months later, Mauretania once again became a troop ship when requisitioned by the Canadian government to carry Canadian troops from Halifax to Liverpool. Her war duty was not yet over when the United States declared war on Germany in 1917, and she carried thousands of American troops, the ship was know by the Admiralty as H.M.S. Tuberose, until the end of the war, but the vessel was never changed by Cunard. The dazzle painting was not used when Mauretania served as a hospital ship. In medical service the vessel was painted white with large medical cross emblems surrounding the vessel.

Post war career

Mauretania returned to civilian service on 21 September 1919. Her busy sailing schedule prevented her from having an extensive overhaul scheduled in 1920. However, in 1921 Cunard Line removed her from service when fire broke out on E deck and decided to give her a much needed overhaul. She returned to the Tyne shipyard of her birth, where her boilers were converted to oil firing, and returned to service in March 1922; however, it was also noticed by Cunard that Mauretania was struggled to maintain her regular Atlantic service speed and it was becoming apparent that although the ship now burned 750 tons of oil per twenty four hours compaired to 1000 tons of coal previously, her service speed had improved but she was still not operationg at her pre war service speeds and during the seasons regular croossing it was noticed by the crew and the management that her performance was dropping, on one crossing in 1922 the ship managed an average speed of only nineteen knots. It now became obvious to Cunard that her once revolutionary turbines were in desperate need of overhaul. In 1923, a major overhaul was begun in Southampton, involving the dismantling of Mauretania's turbines. Halfway through the overhaul, the shipyard workers went on strike and the work was halted, so Cunard had the ship towed to Cherbourg, where the work was completed at another shipyard. In May 1924, the ship returned to Atlantic service.

In 1928 Mauretania was modernized with new interior design and in the next year her speed record was broken by a German liner, the Bremen, with a speed of 28 knots (52 km/h). On 27 August, Cunard permitted the former ocean greyhound to have one final attempt to recapture the record from the newer German liner. She was taken out of service and her engines were modified to produce more power to give a higher service speed; however, this was still not enough. The Bremen simply represented a new generation of ocean liners that were far more powerful and technologically advanced than the aging Cunarder. Even though Mauretania could not outpace her German rival, the ship did beat her own speed records both eastbound and westbound. In 1929 Mauretania collided with a train ferry near Robbins Reef Light; fortunately, no one was killed or injured and her damage was quickly repaired. In 1930, with a combination of the Great Depression and newer competitors on the Atlantic run, Mauretania became a dedicated cruise ship. When Cunard Line merged with White Star Line in 1934, Mauretania, along with Olympic, Majestic and other aging ocean liners, were deemed surplus to requirements and withdrawn from service.

Demise

Cunard withdrew Mauretania from service following a final eastward crossing from New York to Southampton in September 1934. The voyage was made at an average speed of 24 knots, equalling the original contractual stipulation for her mail subsidy. She was then laid up at Southampton alongside the former White Star Line flagship Olympic, her twenty-eight years of service at a close.

In May 1935 her furnishings and fittings were put up for auction and of the 1st of July that year she departed Southampton for the last time to T. W. Wards shipbreakers at Rosyth. One of her former Captains, the retired Commodore Sir Arthur Rostron, Captain of the R.M.S. Carpathia during the Titanic rescue, came to see her on her final departure from Southampton. Rostron refused to go aboard Mauretania before her final journey, stating that he preferred to remember the ship as when he commanded her.

En route to Rosyth Mauretania stopped at her birthplace the Tyne for half an hour, where she drew crowds of sightseers and was boarded by the Lord Mayor of Newcastle. The mayor bid her farewell from the people of Newcastle, and her last captain, A.T. Brown, then resumed his course for Rosyth. With masts cut down to fit, the ship passed under the Forth Bridge and was delivered to the breakers. The demise of the beloved Mauretania was protested by many of her loyal passengers, including President Franklin D. Roosevelt who wrote a private letter arguing against the scrapping.

Legacy

Some of the furnishings from the Mauretania were installed in a bar/restaurant complex in Bristol called the Mauretania Bar (now Java Bristol), situated in Park Street. The lounge bar was paneled with mahogany, which came from her first class library. The neon sign on the south wall still advertises the ''Mauretania'', and her bow lettering was used above the entrance. Additionally, the first class reading writing room has become the board room at Pinewood Studios, west of London. The oak panelled interior of The Oak Bar in Dame Street in Dublin, Ireland is salvaged from the Mauritania. Maple paneling from one of the staterooms can be found in the Nont Sarahs Pub, New Hey Road (A640), Scammonden, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

The Mauretania is remembered in a song ''Firing the Mauretania'', with versions collected separately by Redd Sullivan and Hughie Jones. They both start ''In 19 hundred and 24, I… got a job on the Mauretania''; but then go on to say ''shovelling coal from morn till night'' (not possible in 1924 as she was oil fired by then); the number of ''fires'' is said to be either 64 or 34; but perversely the last verse on Hughie's version says ''trimmers'' not ''stokers'', so perhaps this is a reference to oil.

Click on image to zoom.
Old Enameled R.M.S. Mauretania Ship Advertising Souvenir Pin


Powered by Nose The Hamster (0.06,1)
Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 20:41:06 [ 79 0.05 0.05]
© 1997-2017, Time Passages Nostalgia Company / Ron Toth, Jr., All rights reserved