$7 shipping & handling
|Any group of items being offered as a lot must be sold as a lot.|
|Nostalgic Memorabilia, Pop Culture Artifacts, Historic Items,|
and "Shoe Box Toys"
|An Ever Changing Inventory|
make great gifts!
|You don't have to be an eight year old to enjoy having|
a childhood treasure.
|It's never too late to|
have a happy childhood!
|We have an extensive inventory that is not yet on our web site. If there is something you are looking for and did not find, please send us your wish list.|
|All Original Items.|
|The picture shows a view of all (5) 1922 S.S. Cameronia, Cunard Anchor Lines, Mediterranean Cruise Souvenir Paper Items in this lot. All of these items were saved by the same person who went on a Mediterranean Cruise in 1922. One is from Lisbon, one is a welcome in Beirut, one is from the American Navy Y.M.C.A. and it mentions Galilee, Rome Italy, Florence, Turkey, Stamboul, Constantinople, and Russia. One is from the ship itself with important information for those leaving the ship in Genoa and Monaco. Probably the most important item here is at the bottom center of the picture below. It is a Cruise Membership Certificate. This heavy card stock paper document is filled in and it is signed. There is more important information on the back and the front is marked as follows:|
S. S. ''CAMERONIA'' CRUISE TO THE MEDITERRANEAN
THIS CERTIFICATE, WHEN ACCOMPANIED BY STEAMSHIP PASSAGE TICKET
NO. 68,700, ISSUED BY THE CUNARD - ANCHOR LINE ENTITLES
MISS M. B. GOODWIN
TO MEMBERSHIP IN CRUISE TO THE MEDITERRANEAN, LEAVINBG NEW YORK BY
S. S. ''CAMERONIA'' JULY 5, 1922, FROM
NEW YORK, JULY 5th, TO
NEW YORK, SEPTEMBER 6th,
WITH EXCLUSIVE SHORE EXCURSIONS, ETC., AS SPECIFIED IN PROGRAM, SUBJECT
TO CONDITIONS ON BACK HEREOF; ALSO TO EXTRA EXPENSE EXCURSIONS AS FOLLOWS:
GALILEE, ROME - FLORENCE
THOS. COOK & SON
PER (signed) F. C. BRYAUT
To judge the sizes the largest item here measures 5-3/4'' x 9-1/8''. These items are in excellent condition as pictured. Below here for reference is some additional historical background information found on the S.S. Cameronia:
S. S. CAMERONIA 1919
The "Cameronia" was built in 1919 by Wm Beardmore & Co Ltd, Glasgow for the Anchor Line of Glasgow. She was a 16,365 gross ton ship, length 552.4ft x beam 70.4ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 265 - 1st, 370 - 2nd and 1,100 - 3rd class passengers. Launched on 23/12/1919, the installation of the final parts of her passenger accommodation were delayed due to a strike and she had to be towed to Cherbourg for completion. She commenced her maiden voyage from Glasgow to Liverpool and New York on 11/5/1921 and between 1921 - 1924 she made several similar Cunard - Anchor Line voyages. In October 1925 she rescued the crew of the burning U.S. Coastguard cutter ''CG - 128'' off New York and in November of the same year collided with the Norwegian steamer ''Hauk'' in the Clyde. In January 1926, one voyage had to be abandoned off Ireland due to steering gear failure and she was forced to put back to Glasgow for repair. In August of that year she missed collision with the Cunard liner ''Samaria'' by only six feet in dense fog. She was refurbished in 1929 to carry 290 - cabin, 431 - tourist, and 698 - 3rd class passengers. In December 1932 the ship suffered an influenza epidemic and 400 passengers were confined to their beds. It is reported that the ship's doctor made 500 visits a day to his patients. Between December 1934 and October 1935 the ship was laid up at Glasgow, and from then until April 1936 was used as a troop ship to the Far East carrying a total of over 16,000 personnel. In 1936 she was refitted again and on 10/7/1936 resumed the Glasgow - New York service. In 1937 she attended the Spithead Naval Review for the coronation of King George VI and on September 5th, 1939 left Glasgow and became the first British ship to enter New York after the outbreak of war. She made 11 unescorted transatlantic voyages until she was requisitioned as a troopship in December 1940. In January 1941 she trooped 3,000 men to Suez via the Cape and then shuttled between Alexandria and Greece, mainly with New Zealanders. In 1942 she took part in the training and run up to the North African landings (Operation Torch) and in November, took part in the landings. She was hit by an aerial torpedo in December 1942 with the loss of 17 lives, but reached Bone, Algeria. She returned to Gibralter for repair and thence to the Clyde. In June 1943 she resumed service and participated in carrying the Canadian Tank Division from Malta to Sicily and in June 1944 was the largest troopship to take part in the Normandy landings. In August 1945 she was derequisitioned after carrying a total of 163,789 troops over a total distance of 321,323 miles. Laid up as 'worn out' at 25 years of age, she was brought out of retirement in July 1948 and refitted by Barclay Curle at Elderslie for use as an Australian emigration ship, with capacity for 1,266 passengers. On 1/11/1948 she commenced the first of 11 UK - Australia voyages. On 21/1/1953 she was sold to the Ministry of Transport and renamed ''Empire Clyde'' and in March 1958 was scrapped at Newport, Mon. [North Atlantic Seaway by N. R. P. Bonsor, vol.1, p.468] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.9, Anchor Line]
Click on image to zoom.