This heavy ceramic mug measures about 4-1/4'' tall. It appears to be in excellent condition except for wear on the gold rim as mentioned above and as pictured. Below here, for reference, is a short History on the U.S.S. Tinosa (SSN-606):
U.S.S. Tinosa (SSN-606)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Name: U.S.S. Tinosa
Namesake: The Tinosa
Awarded: 17 December 1958
Builder: Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, Kittery, Maine
Laid down: 24 November 1959
Launched: 9 December 1961
Commissioned: 17 October 1964
Decommissioned: 15 January 1992
Struck: 15 January 1992
Fate: Entered Ship Submarine Recycling Program, 15 July 1991; recycling completed 26 June 1992
Class & type: Thresher / Permit class submarine
Displacement: 3,700 long tons (3,759 t) surfaced, 4,300 long tons (4,369 t) submerged
Length: 278 feet (85 m)
Beam: 31 feet 7 inches (9.63 m)
Draft: 28 feet 5 inches (8.66 m)
Propulsion: S5W PWR
Speed: 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph)+ surfaced
28 knots (52 km/h; 32 mph)+ submerged
Test depth: 1300
Complement: 96 officers and enlisted men
Armament: 4 - 21 inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes, SUBROC
The U.S.S. Tinosa (SSN-606), a Permit class submarine, was the second ship of the United States Navy to be named for the tinosa, a poisonous, black, tropical fish. The contract to build her was awarded to Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, Maine on 17 December 1958 and her keel was laid down on 24 November 1959. She was launched on 9 December 1961 sponsored by Mrs. Samuel B. Stratton, the wife of Congressman Samuel B. Stratton of New York, and commissioned on 17 October 1964, with Commander Robert B. Brumsted in command.
Following shakedown out of New London, Connecticut, the submarine underwent availability at her builder's yard from April to June 1966 before making a cruise to Faslane, Scotland, and the Caribbean Sea. After an overhaul which lasted from March through June 1967, the ship provided services for the Naval Underwater Sound Laboratory at New London through the first three months of 1968. During this tour, Tinosa was based briefly at Port Everglades, Florida, as well as at New London and visited Bermuda in the course of her operations. At the end of this experimental and test duty, Tinosa began local operations out of New London, Connecticut. Tinosa continued to work off the eastern seaboard and in the Caribbean into 1969. During her major overhaul in the spring of that year, she received the SUBSAFE submarine safety improvements designed in the wake of the tragic loss of submarine U.S.S. Thresher (SSN-593) in April 1963.
Following the completion of this yard period in December 1971, Tinosa resumed active operations off the eastern seaboard and into the familiar waters of the Caribbean Sea and continued the routine into the middle of 1972. In July, she crossed the Atlantic for visits to ports in northern Europe and for deployment in the Mediterranean Sea with the 6th Fleet. After operating out of Sardinia and Holy Loch during this period, she returned home in December to conduct tests in conjunction with a project sponsored by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Tinosa worked out of New London, Connecticut from 1 February 1973 until the end of March, operating with submarines and surface craft on exercises and maneuvers. After a three day visit to the United States Naval Academy in late April, where she served in a familiarization program for midshipmen, Tinosa underwent a tender availability alongside the USS Fulton (AS-11) at New London. In ensuing months, the submarine was twice deployed to Bermuda and operated off Andros Island before participating in joint United States - Canadian antisubmarine warfare exercises in December off the Florida coast.
After being dry docked in auxiliary repair drydock U.S.S. Waterford (ARD-5) at New London from January to March 1974, Tinosa departed her home port on 19 May, bound for the Mediterranean, and conducted her second deployment with the Sixth Fleet through the summer months. She visited Bizerte from 24 June to 1 July and was the first nuclear powered submarine to visit Tunisia. Returning to New London on 16 November, the ship operated locally out of her homeport into late February 1975. Subsequently operating in the Narragansett Bay area into the spring of that year, Tinosa departed New London on 23 July, bound for Charleston, South Carolina. She later shifted south to operate off the Florida coast. The ship underwent a major overhaul at the Ingalls Shipbuilding yard at Pascagoula, Mississippi, from late 1975 to 12 December 1977. She then resumed operations with the Atlantic Fleet commencing with two months of weapons system testing in the Caribbean from 13 February to 20 May 1978. This was followed by a combined exercise with units of the Royal Canadian Navy off Florida in mid April. Most of the summer was spent in preparing for Tinosa's forthcoming deployment to the Mediterranean Sea. On 13 September, she departed New London for five months of operations with the Sixth Fleet. At the end of 1978, the nuclear attack submarine was in upkeep in La Maddalena, Sardinia, following operations with a NATO task force composed of United States, British, Italian, and Turkish naval units.
On 4 January 1988, she departed New London for six months of operations with the Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean. In October 1988 she departed New London for 60 days of North Atlantic Operations and crossed the Arctic Circle. Tinosa was deactivated while still in commission on 15 July 1991, then decommissioned and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 15 January 1992. ex Tinosa entered the Nuclear Powered Ship and Submarine Recycling Program in Bremerton, Washington, on 15 July 1991 and on 26 June 1992 ceased to exist.