|The picture below shows a larger view of all (30) Different 1920s Swift & Company Advertising Booklets & Brochures in this lot. Many of these are dated in the 1920s, but all of them are believed to be from the 1920s. They were all saved by one company employee from back then. Most of these are generally not made for the public, but for employees, workers, salesmen, grocers, etc.. There are far too many here to picture individual pages, colorful images, or specific details from inside. In the order pictured, the titles or subjects of these, and their year if seen are as follows:|
Swift's Dry Sausage, pictures & recipes, no date.
Palatable Dishes From Inexpensive Meats, recipes, no date.
Hints To Help You Sell Cheese, Cheese pictures & Descriptions, no date.
Rules and Regulations of Swift & Company for Operation of Automobiles, fold out accident reports, 1929.
Steaks and Chops in Packages, display pictures, no date.
The Gardening Handbook, Premium Booklet with letter & Envelope.
Swift's Silverleaf Brand Lard Hidden Losses Chart Card.
Swift & Company Employee Rules & Regulations, 1929.
Swift's Bakery Tested Shortenings, pictures barrels, no date.
Pocket Reference Book of Sausage Casings, 1927.
Swift & Company Group Life Insurance Plan, 1928.
Industrial Oils A Brief Description and Their Uses, no date.
The Better Way To Slice Swift's Premium Cooked Ham, no date.
Instructions For Selling Oleomargarine, no date.
Green Fields and White Churns, 1929.
Swift & Company Pension Fund, 1925.
Fancy Meats, Packaging Pictured & Recipes, no date.
Manual of Information For Branch House Employes, 1928.
Swift's Dry Sausage Reference Book, Pictures and Descriptions, no date.
All of these for one price! To judge the sizes the largest booklet here measures 4-3/4'' x 7-1/4''. These all appear to be in near mint to mint condition as pictured. Below here, for reference, is a short History of Swift & Company:
Swift & Company
During the 1850s, when he was still a teenager, Gustavus F. Swift started to work in the beef business in Massachusetts. In 1875, Swift began buying cattle in Chicago to send to his family's butcher operations back East. He quickly revolutionized the meat industry by using newly developed refrigerated railcars to ship fresh meat from Chicago to Eastern markets. The company soon set up a national network of branch offices, which allowed it to control the distribution of its meat across the country. By 1886, when the company slaughtered more than 400,000 cattle a year, Swift employed about 1,600 people. Between 1887 and 1892, new packing plants were opened in Kansas City, Omaha, and St. Louis. By the time the founder died in 1903, his company grossed $200 million in annual sales and employed about 23,000 people across the country, including over 5,000 workers at its slaughtering plant in Chicago's Union Stock Yard. In 1908, Swift plants across the country slaughtered a total of about eight million animals. By this time, Swift owned a fleet of nearly 5,000 refrigerated railcars. Annual sales reached $700 million by the late 1920s, when the total workforce of the company, which ranked as one of the largest industrial corporations in the United States, consisted of about 55,000 people. Swift stopped slaughtering in Chicago in 1953, but its corporate headquarters remained in the city. In 1973, by which time meat had become only one of its businesses, Swift became part of Esmark Inc., a holding company. During the 1980s, Esmark's meat division was spun off and moved to Texas. Swift, once one of Chicago's leading employers and largest companies, no longer has a presence in the city. From the early 1990s through the early 2000s, food conglomerate Conagra owned Swift's operations. Swift & Company's divisional headquarters were located in Greeley, Colorado.
This entry is part of the Encyclopedia's Dictionary of Leading Chicago Businesses (1820 - 2000) that was prepared by Mark R. Wilson, with additional contributions from Stephen R. Porter and Janice L. Reiff.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago ©2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago ©2004 The Newberry Library.