|The pictures show a view of all (4) Old Aunt Martha's Cape Neddick Maine Restaurant Photographs in this lot. Two of these are dated 1937 on the back. The other two are from around the same time. Three of these are mounted on backing boards and one is in a matt frame.|
The first photo is an exterior shot of the restaurant. There are (7) old automobiles to the left by an ''ANCHOR GROVE'' arch sign. To the right is an old gas pump. It has a 21 cent price for gas as well as three small signs that read:
SOCONY MOTOR GASOLINE
SOCONY MOTOR OIL
At the far right is one of the cabins that were rented out. The flag and flag pole were drawn on the building in ink, but they look real unless looking through a magnifying glass. There is the number ''33915'' in the lower right corner. There are many signs on the front of the building itself. They read as follows:
AUNT MARTHA'S THE HOME OF GOOD EATS
SANDWICHES OF ALL KINDS
FRIED CLAMS - STEAKS - WAFFLES
LOBSTERS ANY STYLE
FRIED CLAMS TO TAKE OUT
SALT WATER KISSES AND FUDGE FRESH DAILY
WE MAKE OUR OWN PASTRY
The second photograph is an interior shot of the restaurant with (9) people. These are believed to be the owners, waitresses, and soda jerks. The photo has some old damage but there is still a lot of detail. At the back of the bar is a large old Coca-Cola display sign and a few smaller signs. On the counter is a ''SCHULER'S'' display case and other displays filled with candy or salt water taffy. There are also rolled mints and maybe gum at the right. At the left in the foreground are packages and bottles of Vermont Maple Syrup and Maple Sugar Candies. There is a sign with prices above them. There is a large clock on the back wall and two signs. One is a Special Menu and the other advertises Chop Suey. The waitresses are in uniform and the soda jerk is wearing an apron. There is also an old electric fan on the counter and glass light fixtures..
The third photograph is another interior photo. This one has (11) people believed to be the owners, waitresses, and soda jerks. This photo has some of the same things as the last and some addtional features. This one has a sign in the back that reads ''MAIL HOME A BOX - AUNT MARTHA'S HOME MADE KISSES''. There are hanging glass light fixtures, a large clock on the wall, a ''CHOP SUEY'' sign, a ''WAFFLES'' sign, and another sign. High on the back wall are light up numbers for the waitresses. On the counter there is a light, napkin holder, candy bowl, Candy jar, a straw jar, and bags of candies. The left hand side of the picture below there is light glare that is not on the photo.
The fourth photograph was taken in the kitchen. It has (6) people including the owners and cooks. In the photo there is the stoves, grill, shelves, meat slicer, plates, pots, pans, light fixtures, bowl, and some advertising packages including a Quaker Oats can, Corn Starch, Baking Soda, Phillies Cigar box, and more.
Each of the photographs (not counting the matt boards) measure about 7'' x 5''. They are in various conditions with wear as pictured. Below here is an article that was found with some historical reference to Aunt Martha's:
Aunt Martha's a Cape Neddick fixture
By Peter A. Moore
York Weekly, York, Maine
Aunt Martha's Dining Room and Luncheonette, which was located on U.S. Route 1, in Cape Neddick, about halfway between Mountain Road and Logging Road. When this photo was taken gasoline was selling for 21 cents per gallon, a far cry from today's prices. The building, which has not been used for many years now, still stands today, and it was last used as the Surfwood Restaurant.
From the mid 1920s until 1960 there was a restaurant on U.S. Route 1, in Cape Neddick, called Aunt Martha's. It was located about halfway between Mountain Road and Logging Road. Before it was Aunt Martha's it was a roadside stand known as Anchor Grove, which offered the traveling public a place to eat, get gasoline, or to stay overnight in one of the rental cottages on the property.
Around 1924 the property was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. George E. Atherton. I base this on the fact that the first time the Athertons appear in the York Town Report, as non-resident taxpayers, is in the 1925 town report, which covered the year period ending Feb. 12, 1925. After purchasing the property, the Athertons changed the name to Aunt Martha's, possibly after George's Aunt of the same name. The restaurant was one of the few good eating places between Boston and Portland, and it was well advertised in the Boston papers and it did a lively business.
There were many different views of the restaurant, which the Athertons made into post cards. Each card had the following, written on the back of the card. ''One of the most beautiful spots on the Maine highway, U.S. Route 1, between York and Ogunquit was Aunt Martha's Lunch and Dining Room. We serve from a sandwich to a full course dinner. Stop on your way up or down. Our cooking and refrigeration are done by electricity; pastry, bread, rolls, ice cream, and candies are made fresh daily on the premises. Banquets and parties can be arranged by telephoning York 8124R, Manager George E. Atherton, Cape Neddick, Maine.''
In 1945 the business was taken over by Atherton's daughter, Beatrice Kendall. Her husband, George, did the cooking, and Bea, as she was known, added a candy shop. When George died, Bea struggled to operate the business by herself. In 1960, she sold the property to June Collopy, and one of the stipulations of the sale was not use the name of Aunt Martha's. The name was changed to Surfwood Restaurant. Major renovations were required because the building was in poor condition. The restaurant operated summers for about 10 years. It has not been used for several years now.