From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Comanche County, near Lawton, Oklahoma
Type: Military post
In use: 1869 - present
Controlled by: United States
Garrison: United States Army Field Artillery School, United States Army Air Defense Artillery School, 75th Fires Brigade, 214th Fires Brigade, 31st Air Defense Artillery Brigade
Commander: M. G. David Halverson
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
U.S. National Historic Landmark
Location: Comanche County, outside Lawton, Oklahoma
Architect: U.S. Army
Governing body: Department of the Army
Designated NHL: 19 December 1960
Today, Fort Sill remains the only active Army installation of all the forts on the South Plains built during the Indian Wars. It is designated as a National Historic Landmark and serves as home of the United States Army Field Artillery School as well as the Marine Corps' site for Field Artillery MOS school, United States Army Air Defense Artillery School, the 31st Air Defense Artillery Brigade, the 75th Fires Brigade and the 214th Fires Brigade. Fort Sill is also one of the four locations for Army Basic Combat Training. As of June 2012, Major General Mark McDonald is the commanding general of the Fires Center of Excellence and Fort Sill.
The site of Fort Sill was staked out on 8 January 1869, by Major General Philip H. Sheridan, who led a campaign into Indian Territory to stop hostile tribes from raiding border settlements in Texas and Kansas.