Home | New | About Us | Categories | Policy | Links
Time Passages Nostalgia Company
Ron Toth, Jr., Proprietor
72 Charles Street
Rochester, New Hampshire 03867-3413
Phone: 1-603-335-2062
Email: ron.toth@timepassagesnostalgia.com
Search for:  
Select from:  
Show:  at once pictures only 
previous page
 Found 165 items 
next page
 3139 ... 8803 8804 8805 8987 8988 ... f982 ... o708 ... sny19921116
(8) Old Grange Fraternal Jewelry Items
Item #8805
Click here now for this limited time offer
Check Out With PayPalSee Our Store Policy

My items on eBay

Any group of items being offered as a lot must be sold as a lot.
Collectable Appraisals
Worldwide Sales
You can feel secure
shopping with PayPal.
Great memories
make great gifts!
Nostalgic Memorabilia, Pop Culture Artifacts, Historic Items,
and "Shoe Box Toys"
Gift Certificate
An Ever Changing Inventory
It's never too late to
have a happy childhood!
This item is already sold(8) Old Grange Fraternal Jewelry Items
Grange   Patrons of Husbandry   Fraternal   Necklace   Jewelry   Pendant   Charm   Medallion   Pin   Badge   Pin Back Button
The picture shows a view of all (8) Old Grange Fraternal Jewelry Items in this lot. On these are the Grange emblems and some are enameled. One of these is an old celluloid pin back button. It is marked as follows:

NOV. 10 - 19, 1920

There is a paper insert in the back that reads as follows:


There is a Connecticut shaped convention badge. It was made by the Whitehead and Hoag Company of Newark, New Jersey. It has two emblems and reads as follows:


The bottom center pin has a scroll and is marked ''PL'' and ''P of H''. The back is marked:

1/20 12 KT.

There is another pin with two emblems, a pair of earrings, a matching small pin, and an Old Man of the Mountains New Hampshire pin. To judge the sizes the pinback button measures 1-1/4'' wide. These range from excellent to mint condition as pictured. Below here is some addition background information on the Grange that was found online:

''The National Grange of the Order of the Patrons of Husbandry was founded in Washington, DC on December 4, 1867, by Oliver Hudson Kelley, a Mason and a clerk with the Federal Bureau of Agriculture, and six other men.  Known as "the Farmer's Masonry," the order uses a seven-degree ritual system, with signs, passwords, grips, and regalia. Both men and women are admitted, 14 years of age or older as equal members, since Kelley was persuaded by his niece, Caroline Hall, to admit women into the order when it was first founded. The first lodge was Grange No. 1 in Fredonia, NY.  It was instrumental in passing the "Granger Laws" which put an end to various abuses by the railroad industry in the late 1800’s.''

''The order uses the Holy Bible in its ritual, which is placed on an altar in the Grange, and 43 passages from the Holy Bible are quoted in the Subordinate Grange's four degrees. The Grange Master administers vows to the candidates in each of the four degrees, and the candidate is hoodwinked in the first degree, showing Masonic influences.''

''The county level administers the fifth degree called "Pomona," while the state level administers the "Flora" degree. The National Grange administers the Degree of "Ceres" or "Demeter" which is exemplified annually. The order forbids alcohol in its meetings, and stresses temperance outside of the Grange.''

''There was a time in the not-too-distant past when the local Grange Hall was the center of community life in many small towns. It was a place of social gathering, a political rallying point, an economic cooperative, a fraternal order, a service organization and an agricultural forum. It instilled love of God, family and country. It helped farmers band together to protect their mutual interests. And, more than any other institution it embodied an American way of life.''

''The Grange is the nation’s oldest and second largest farm organization.  It had its beginnings in Washington DC in 1867, founded by a group of farmers for their mutual support and to foster civic, moral and political responsibility. Grange members joined in various group ventures: buying and selling goods; legislative lobbying on behalf of farmers; and eventually, in protecting themselves through insurance. Grangers considered themselves good insurance risks because of their dedication to family, property, citizens’ rights and private enterprise. They thus felt entitled to lower insurance rates. Many small mutual insurance companies were formed by Grangers, but only five have grown to multi-state size. In 1893, the Washington State Grange met in the hayloft of a new barn in White Salmon, Washington, and resolved to start a fire insurance cooperative. By-laws, assessments, and conditions for the new association were formulated and agents were appointed in various Granges. On April 4, 1894, business commenced and the Washington Fire Relief Association’s insurance was in force.''

''The Association changed its name in 1936 to Grange Fire Insurance Association. In 1943, to reflect the broadening of coverage offerings to include casualty, as well as fire insurance, the name was then changed to Grange Insurance Association.''

Click on image to zoom.
(8) Old Grange Fraternal Jewelry Items

Powered by Nose The Hamster (0.06,1)
Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 08:15:02 [ 340 0.04 0.06]
© 1997-2023, Time Passages Nostalgia Company / Ron Toth, Jr., All rights reserved