|Any group of items being offered as a lot must be sold as a lot.|
|Fast Dependable Service|
|You can feel secure|
shopping with PayPal.
|Quality Packing And|
|Quality Merchandise At Reasonable Prices|
|Nostalgic Memorabilia, Pop Culture Artifacts, Historic Items,|
and "Shoe Box Toys"
|An Ever Changing Inventory|| |
|The picture shows a view of this Old Unused Martha's Vineyard Massachusetts Horse Drawn Street Car or Trolley Real Photo Post Card. The postcard is not dated but it is old. It has an undivided back. The old black & white photograph pictures an open air streetcar, two horses, the Conductor, some men riders in suits and top hats, and some ornate looking buildings. The streetcar is marked as follows:|
HIGHLAND WHARF & CAMP GROUND
The back of this unused postcard is marked as follows:
Martha's Vineyard Horse RR (written)
J. WM. BARNES
The photo postcard measures about 5-3/8'' x 3-1/2''. It appears to be in excellent or better condition as pictured. Below here, for reference is some additional information that was found:
Martha's Vineyard Trolley Lines, 1870 - 1917
The first trolley line on the Island was completed in 1871 as a horse car line from the Highland Wharf in Oak Bluffs that wrapped around the Methodist campground. Reportedly, the ''horse railroad'' line ran directly from the wharf to the campground so that people attending the camp meetings could avoid the ''sinful'' parts of Oak Bluffs. Within the Cottage City Street Railway Company's first year in operation, they made a decent profit. The lines operated only during the summer tourist season. Subsequently, more streetcar line companies popped up around the Island: the Martha's Vineyard Street Railway Inc., the Dukes County Street Railway Co., and the Vineyard Haven Line.
By 1891, an ambitious project was created, with the intention of running a trolley line from Cottage City through Tisbury, Chilmark, and Gay Head. No construction ever took place. However, the existing lines did extend to other portions of Oak Bluffs. In 1894, the Cottage City Street Railway Company decided to ''equip the road with electricity'' like the larger cities on the mainland were doing. The lines were electrified beginning in 1895, and open air trolley cars became a familiar sight during the summer months Down Island. In 1914, the street railway companies were buying and selling portions of one another's rails. The result was confusion. Just three years later, in 1917,
the trolley lines abruptly closed and the rails were ripped up for war purposes
Click on image to zoom.