|The picture shows a view of this Old Enameled Chandris Lines Ship Pendant / Charm. It is enameled in dark blue, light blue, and white. There is a ship flag in the center and it is marked ''CHANDRIS LINES''.|
Below is some information found on the Chandris Lines:
The ships routes were based on sailings from Bremerhaven / Rotterdam / Southampton southbound via the Suez Canal to Sydney with the return section of the voyage via the Panama Canal. At the time (1969-1973) Chandris ships were divided up between those which operated the Round-World Service - "Australis" (Flagship), "Britannis" and "Ellinis" Greece / Australia - "Patris" and "Queen Frederica" and cruising in the Mediterranean / Caribbean with the "Amerikanis".
The "Patris", formerly Union Castle Line's "Bloemfontein Castle " built by Harland and Wollfe in Belfast in 1950, started off the Chandris passenger shipping arm of the company to Australia in 1959, which up to this time had been running freighters. She carried Greek migrants to Australia and returned to Greece with young Australians coming to Europe and England for working holidays at cheaper rates than those offered by the big established companies such as P and O, Orient Line, Shaw Savill and New Zealand Shipping Co. As such "Patris" was held in special esteem by Mr Chandris. She was sold for scrap in July 1987.
The "QUEEN FREDERICA"
The Royal Helennic Mailship "Queen Frederica"was built for Matson Lines as the "Malola" in 1937, renamed "Matsonia" in 1938, sold to Home Lines and again re-named "Atlantic" in 1948 and "Queen Frederica" in 1955 and finally to Chandris Lines in 1966 as the "QUEEN FREDERICA" . She was withdrawn from service in 1971, after the aquisition of Britanis, and was scrapped in Greece in 1977.