Home | New | About Us | Categories | Policy | Links
Time Passages Nostalgia Company
Ron Toth, Jr., Proprietor
72 Charles Street
Rochester, New Hampshire 03867-3413
Phone: 1-603-335-2062
Email: ron.toth@timepassagesnostalgia.com
Search for:  
Select from:  
Show:  at once pictures only 
previous page
 Found 411 items 
next page
 0245 ... 6202 6279 6284 6323 6483 ... e863 ... n151 ... sny19921228
Old Bus Wagon Photograph With Lipton Tea Advertising
Item #6284
Click here now for this limited time offer
Any group of items being offered as a lot must be sold as a lot.
Check Out With PayPalSee Our Store Policy

My items on eBay

Combined Shipping And Handling
Whether you've collected Memorabilia for years or just want to feel like a kid again, please take a few moments to browse through what we
have available for sale.
You can feel secure
shopping with PayPal.
Nostalgic Memorabilia, Pop Culture Artifacts, Historic Items,
and "Shoe Box Toys"
Quantity Discount Prices
(when available)
An Ever Changing Inventory
Fast Dependable Service
Quality Packing And
Postal Insurance
This item is already soldOld Bus Wagon Photograph With Lipton Tea Advertising
Wagon   Stage Coach   Bus   Transportation   Advertising   Tea   Historic   Photo   Photograph   Photography   British
The picture below shows a view of this Old Bus Wagon Photograph With Lipton Tea Advertising. This is a nice image of a wagon or stage coach in front of a building with a clock. In addition to the ''LIPTON'S TEA'' advertising sign, the wagon also reads ''SOUTHAMPTON CORPORATION TRAMWAYS''. There is a sign on the front with wording but I can only make out the word ''CURTISS''. Below here is some information from the Southampton Corporation Transport History website. This helps to narrow this down to being from between 1877 and 1901 and from England:

''Horse-drawn transport first made its appearance in Southampton at the commencement of the 1800's, when horse-drawn omnibuses were introduced. By the time the Southampton Street Tramways Act of 1877 authorised the construction of the first tramway in the town, horse-drawn omnibuses were operating on several routes, including to Shirley, to which destination William Bevis ran ten trips daily in 1879.
Construction of the tramway, built by the Southampton Tramways Company, led to the demise of many of the horse buses. The first route to be opened on the new system ran from Alma Road, in a north-south direction, to Above Bar Street and commenced on the 5th May 1879. The following day extensions were opened at each end of the line to Portswood and to the floating bridge across the River Itchen. On the 9th June 1879 a second line was brought into use, running from the end of Above Bar Street ('The Junction') to Shirley High Street. Both routes were single-track lines.
The initial rolling stock consisted of six single-deck and nine double-deck cars (probably built by Starbuck), numbered 1-15 and housed at the Company's depots at Portswood and Shirley. In 1887 the Company began operating horse-buses purchased from Solomon Andrews of Cardiff, which were used to inaugurate a route between the Floating Bridge and the Common via St. Mary's Road. An hourly service was also operated from the Commercial Road Junction to Bitterne Park, which by 1892 had been extended to the Weighbridge (near the Clock Tower in Above Bar). The horse buses passed to Southampton Corporation with the rest of the undertaking in 1898.
In 1896 the Corporation purchased the Southampton Electric Light and Power Company and took control of the provision of electricity for the town. On the 30th June 1898, Southampton Corporation exercised its right to buy the tramway in order to electrify it.
Despite the fact that the Tramway Company had re-laid much of their track only a few years previously, all the tracks had to be renewed for the electric cars. Whilst this work was progressing, the horse-buses and horse-trams kept the service going.
The first section to be electrified was that between Shirley and 'The Junction', which was opened on the 22nd January 1900, followed in May of the same year by the section between Holy Rood and Stag Gates. The Stag Gates service was extended to Portswood Junction later that year. In the meantime the horse-trams continued to be used and it was not until 3rd August 1901, when the stretch of line from the Ordnance College to the Docks was completed, that the last horse-drawn tram ran. Further extensions to the system followed; in 1902 lines from St. Denys to Bitterne Park, and from the Docks to the Floating Bridge were opened. The following year services to Bevois Hill from Onslow, to The Common from Stag Gates, and an extension from Portswood to Hampton Park commenced.''

The photo measures 3-1/8'' x 3-3/8''. It is in mint as made condition.

Click on image to zoom.
Old Bus Wagon Photograph With Lipton Tea Advertising

Powered by Nose The Hamster (0.2,1)
Sun, Jun 16, 2024 at 05:04:36 [ 12470 0.06 0.2]
1997-2024, Time Passages Nostalgia Company / Ron Toth, Jr., All rights reserved