The badge measures 1-3/16'' wide. It appears to be in excellent condition as pictured. Below here, for reference, is some additional information about the Lever Brothers Company:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lever Brothers was a British manufacturing company founded in 1885 by brothers William Hesketh Lever (1851 - 1925) and James Darcy Lever (1854 - 1910). They invested in and successfully promoted a new soap making process invented by chemist William Hough Watson. In 1930, Lever Brothers merged with Margarine Unie to form Unilever.
Starting with a small grocery business begun by his father, William Lever and his brother James entered the soap business in 1885 by buying a small soap works in Warrington. The brothers teamed up with a Bolton chemist, William Hough Watson, who became an early business partner. Watson invented the process which resulted in a new soap, using glycerin and vegetable oils such as palm oil, rather than tallow. The resulting soap was a good, free lathering soap, at first named ''Honey Soap'' then later named ''Sunlight Soap''. Production reached 450 tons per week by 1888. Larger premises were built on marshes at Bromborough Pool on the Wirral Peninsula at what became Port Sunlight. Though the company was named Lever Brothers, William Lever's brother and co-director James never took a major part in running the business. He fell ill in 1895, probably as a result of diabetes, and resigned his directorship two years later.
Lever Brothers was one of several British companies that took an interest in the welfare of its employees. The model village of Port Sunlight was developed between 1888 and 1914 adjoining the soap factory to accommodate the company's staff in good quality housing, with high architectural standards and many community facilities.
By 1900 ''Lifebuoy'', ''Lux'', and ''Vim'' brands had been added and subsidiaries had been set up in the United States, Switzerland, Canada, Australia, Germany and elsewhere. By 1911 the company had its own oil palm plantations in Belgian Congo and the Solomon Islands. Lever Brothers Ltd also acquired other soap companies including A&F Pears, Gossage's of Widnes, Watson's of Leeds, Crosfield's of Warrington, Hazlehurst & Sons of Runcorn, and Hudson's of Liverpool. The town Leverville (the present day Lusanga) was founded in the Bandundu district, named after William Lever.
Lever Brothers rode the cresting late Victorian consumer revolution to build a vast worldwide industrial empire. Four years after William Lever's death in 1925, his enterprises were amalgamated as Unilever. By 1930, it employed a 250,000 and in terms of market value, was the largest company in Britain.
The company grew and operated until 1930, when it merged with a Dutch margarine company, Margarine Unie, to form Unilever, the first modern multinational company. As part of the agreement, Lever Brothers changed its name to Unilever PLC, and forms the British half of the dual listed company. Although the two companies have separate shareholders and stock exchange listings, they have a common board of directors and essentially operate as one company. The Lever Brothers name was kept for a time as an imprint, as well as the name of the U.S. subsidiary, Lever Brothers Company, and a Canadian subsidiary, Lever Brothers Limited. Lever Brothers was sold to a U.S. capital firm Pensler Capital Corporation and renamed Korex in 2008. Korex Don Valley assumed operations of the Lever Brothers Toronto plant. It has since closed and gone bankrupt. The Toronto plant is now being redeveloped into an office and industrial district by First Gulf Corporation.
Presidents of Lever Brothers
Among its presidents was Charles Luckman who in the 1950s championed the construction of the Lever House in New York City. Luckman left the company before the building's completion, moving on to a notable architectural career, including the design of Madison Square Garden, the Theme Building and master plan for Los Angeles International Airport, the Aon Center, and major buildings at the Kennedy Space Center and Johnson Space Center.