History of Sweden, Maine
From A Gazetteer of the State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill, Boston 1886
Sweden lies in the southern part of Oxford County bordering on Bridgton in Cumberland County. Waterford forms the north-eastern boundary, Lovell the north-western, and Fryeburg the south-western. The surface of the town is somewhat broken, and there are three high hills. These are Winn's in the north-eastern part, Popple, in the north-western and. Black Mountain in the south-western. In the southeastern part is Steven's Pond, about one square mile in area, with three smaller ponds connected. Keyes Pond in the northern part of the town, discharging into Kezar River, and three smaller ponds, discharging into Moose Pond, form a line of ponds north and south across the midst of the town. The manufactures consists of a saw mill for long and short lumber and shooks, and a carriage factory. The town is about 21 miles south-west of Paris, and is the terminus of the mail line from Fryeburg.
Sweden formed a part of the grant made by Massachusetts to Captain Lovewell's company in the memorable fight with the Pequaket warriors in Fryeburg. The first settler was Samuel Nevers, from Burlington, Massachusetts, in 1794. In the two following years came Benjamin Webber from Bedford, Jacob Stevens, from Rowley, Andrew Woodbury and Micah Trufl, from Tewksbury, and Peter Holden, from Maiden, Massachusetts Nevers and Trull, Mrs. Holden and Mrs. Woodbury were still living in January, 1857; Nevers being 91. At the age of 17 he shipped in the Rider Rally, Captain Baldwin, a vessel fitted out in Boston during the Revolutionary struggle as a privateer, which was captured by the British brig Chatham. He was impressed into the British service, where he remained about a year; but the vessel putting into New York, he there made his escape.
Sweden was incorporated February 26th, 1813. It's religious organizations are Congregationalist and Methodist. The public school houses number seven. The school property is valued at $3,500. The population in 1870 was 549. In 1880 it was 474. The valuation in 1870 was $176,952. In 1880 it was $158,406.