|The picture shows a view of all (11) United States Navy Submarine Related Items in this lot. The years that these items are from are unknown. Most of these items came from someone who worked at the Portsmouth Navy Shipyard in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The following items are included in this lot:|
The first item is a red and white plastic keychain with a bead chain. It has an image of a submarine and is marked:
C.S. DRAPER LAB. DIV. 20F
Next is an old U.S.S. Albacore (AGSS-569) cloth patch. The colorful patch pictures the ships insignia and is marked:
Here is some background information on the Albacore:
USS ALBACORE (AGSS-569)
USS Albacore was laid down on March 15, 1952, launched on August 1, 1953 and commissioned on December 5, 1953. She was to serve the next twenty years as a test bed for many new concepts in submarine developement, firstmost being her tear-drop hull design. Faster, more maneuverable, and quieter than previous submarine hull shapes, the tear-drop hull is used in nearly all modern submarine design.
Albacore was rebuilt several times to test various design concepts. As originally built, she had a single propellor with the control surfaces extended to the rear of the prop, and she had a dorsal rudder on the aft edge of the sail with small bow planes. She was powered by two diesel engines, coupled to a 7500hp electric motor on the propellor shaft. Batteries provided underwater propulsion.
In her next design variation, the stern control surfaces were moved forward of the prop, in a + configuration, the bow planes were removed, and the dorsal rudder deactivated. This was in 1956.
In 1961 work was completed on her third variation. This time her stern control surfaces were arranged in an X formation. Her dorsal rudder was reactivated and speed brakes were mounted on the hull. Maneuverability was much improved with the new stern surfaces, though the control system was complicated.
Her fourth variation included a new battery and counter-rotating props. A second electric motor was installed, with a second propellor shaft inside the first for the extra prop. This increased her underwater speed to over 30 knots. She also tested new ballast control systems in response to the loss of USS Thresher (SSN-593).
Albacore served until September 1, 1972 when she was decommissioned, and placed in reserve at Philadephia. She rested there until 1984, when she was towed back to Portsmouth, New Hampshire to become a museum. Her final destination is in a unique setting. Getting her there required moving her almost a quarter mile inland, through a railroad bridge, and across a highway. She rests 27 feet above the water level in a dry basin, on a cradle. She was opened to the public in 1985.
Length: 203' 10"
Width: 27' 4"
Draft: 18' 7"
Displacement: 1242 tons surface, 1847 tons submerged
Speed: 15 knots surface, 30+ knots submerged
Armament: none carried
Complement: 5 officers, 50 enlisted
Next is a 1985 U.S.S. Albacore Pin Back Button. This button is believed to be from the opening of the Albacore as a museum to the public. It is blue and white and pictures the sub. It is marked:
I WAS THERE
MAY 4, 1985
Next in this lot is a Portsmouth Naval Shipyard key ring. It is made of a blue rubber like material. It is imprinted with an image of a submarine and a crane and is marked:
PORTSMOUTH NAVAL SHIPYARD
Next there are two ''SAVE OUR SHIPYARD'' stickers. These were for the support of saving the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard from closure. It was saved. The stickers are unused. They picture a submarine and read as follows:
SAVE OUR SHIPYARD
FOR THE FUTURE
PORTSMOUTH NAVAL SHIPYARD
THE SUBMARINE YARD
SEACOAST SHIPYARD ASSOCIATION
Next is a decal sticker for the U.S.S. Pittsburgh SSN-720. It is unused. It pictures a bridge and a submarine and it is marked:
USS PITTSBURGH SSN-720
Next there is an old forged brass submarine. After polished this piece most likely would have been made into a pin or used on an award plaque.
Next is a small red and black plastic submarine. This sub may have been part of a model kit but we are not sure.
Next there is a small plastic submarine game piece from a Battleship game.
The last item in this lot is a small red plastic football shaped item. It has two posts on the back. We do not know what this is from. It is marked:
To judge the sizes the Albacore cloth patch measures 3-3/4'' x 4-1/4''. These items range from good to mint condition as pictured.