|Price: $14.99 |
$4.00 shipping & handling
|Any group of items being offered as a lot must be sold as a lot.|
|Nostalgic Memorabilia, Pop Culture Artifacts, Historic Items,|
and "Shoe Box Toys"
|An Ever Changing Inventory|
make great gifts!
|Quality Merchandise At Reasonable Prices|
|Quality Packing And|
|The picture below shows a larger view of this Small Old Enameled Tremont Temple Choir Advertising Member Pin. The pin is not dated, but it is old. The brass pin is enameled in red and white. It is marked on the two sides as follows:|
TREMONT TEMPLE CHOIR
The pin measures about 9/16'' wide. It appears to be in mint condition as pictured.
Below here, for reference, is some additional information about the Tremont Temple:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Tremont Temple on 88 Tremont Street is a Baptist church in Boston, affiliated with the American Baptist Churches, U.S.A.. The existing multi story structure was designed by architect Clarence Blackall of Boston, and opened in May 1896. It replaced a much smaller, 1827 structure that had repeatedly suffered damage by fires. The new facility was designed with a large auditorium, ground floor retail shops, and upper story offices, all of which could be leased commercially so that the congregation could welcome all worshippers for free. The building is currently understudy for landmark status by the Boston Landmarks Commission.
On 28 December 1843, the Free Church Baptists bought the Tremont Theatre, built in 1827 in Greek Revival style. They renamed it the Tremont Temple and adapted it for use for religious worship. They did not charge for attending their church and had a racially integrated congregation.
Although the building was largely used for religious purposes, it also served occasionally as the venue for public events. An Egyptian mummy was displayed beginning on 28 September 1850, and Sam Houston gave a speech there against slavery on 22 February 1855. Boston had a strong community of abolitionists, both black and white.
The Temple was damaged by fire in April 1852; at the time, offices were occupied by music instructors, dentists, a taxidermist, and several artists: Benjamin Champney, Mr. Kimberly, John C. King, B.F. Mason, Wellman Morrison, John Pope, and John W. A. Scott. The temple suffered subsequent fires in 1879 and 1893 and was repaired.
The Temple was the site of Charles Dickens first reading during his 1867 - 1868 tour of the United States. Dickens read from ''A Christmas Carol'' and ''The Pickwick Papers'' during his two hour reading on December 2, 1867.
The congregation called it Tremont Street Baptist Church and later Union Temple Baptist Church, adopting the name Tremont Temple Baptist Church in 1891. The Reverend George C. Lorimer served as pastor of the church for twenty-one years, interrupted by brief pastorships in other locations. He left in 1901, after guiding the congregation through construction and opening of a new building, to move to a New York City congregation.
The congregation had decided on a new, larger structure, which was completed and opened in May 1896. Designed by architect Clarence Blackall, it was intended to be a church with an auditorium and other spaces suitable for leasing for business purposes, in order to support church functions. The building originally was designed with retail stores on the ground floor and commercial offices on the upper floors. Revenue from business rents and rental of the auditorium for concerts enabled the church to continue to provide free seats to all worshippers.
At various times in the 20th century, films were screened at Tremont Temple, though commercial leasing ended in 1956. The auditorium was used December 31, 1985, for a staged production of the opera, The Burning Fiery Furnace, by Benjamin Britten.
Click on image to zoom.