There are (116) photographs of different sizes inside. Some came loose. Many of the photos have written information, dates, and names on the backs. There are 1935 cruise photos, Virgin Island, Caribbean photos, liberty photographs, lots of Sailors in uniform, and more from the U.S.S. J. Fred Talbott (DD-156). There are even some 1939 New York World's Fair photos. There are New York City photos from a skyscraper, and a few of the Parachute Drop ride at Coney Island. There is a photo of the U.S.S. Biddle DD-151 and more. There are four ship articles, a Pass from the U.S.S. J. Fred Talbott for a Navy Yard Gate, a 1939 dated Third Class Petty Officer patch, and a two sided hand written sheet of Navy notes, and much more. There is quite a bit to see and read.
The album measures about 10'' x 7'' x 1''. Over all the items appear to be in good to excellent condition as pictured. The cover with the certificate has come loose and some of the layers of photos are loose inside.
U.S.S. J. Fred Talbott (DD-156)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Namesake: Joshua Frederick Cockey Talbott
Builder: William Cramp and Sons
Laid down: 8 July 1918
Launched: 14 December 1918
Commissioned: 30 June 1919
Decommissioned: 21 May 1946
Struck: 19 June 1946
Fate: Sold for scrapping, 22 December 1946
Class and type: Wickes class destroyer
Displacement: 1,090 tons
Length: 314 feet 5 inches (95.83 m)
Beam: 30 feet 6 inches (9.30 m)
Draft: 8 feet 8 inches (2.64 m)
Speed: 35 knots (65 km/h)
Complement: 101 officers and enlisted
Armament: 4 - 4'' (102 mm), 2 - 3'' (76 mm), 2 - .30 cal. (7.62 mm), 12 - 21'' (533 mm) tt.
U.S.S. J. Fred Talbott (DD-156), named for Joshua Frederick Cockey Talbott (1843 - 1918), Representative from Maryland Second District from 1879 to 1885, from 1893 to 1895 and again from 1903 to 1918, was a Wickes class destroyer. Talbott was laid down by the William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Company at Philadelphia on 8 July 1918, launched on 14 December 1918 by Mrs. Robert L. Bates, niece of Representative Talbott and commissioned on 30 June 1919, Commander T. G. Ellyson in command.
J. Fred Talbott departed Newport, Rhode Island 10 July for the Mediterranean, where she acted as a station ship at various ports providing an element of stability in Europe during the first troubled months of postwar adjustment and reconstruction. Upon her return to the United States 21 June 1920, the ship took part in Neutrality Patrol duty on the East Coast and engaged in fleet exercises before her decommissioning at Philadelphia 18 January 1923.
Talbott recommissioned 1 May 1930, Lieutenant C. H. Cobb in command, and immediately began shakedown training in Delaware Bay. For the 10 years that followed, the ship operated along the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean engaging in antisubmarine training; fleet operations; and carrying out the many far-ranging duties of the United States fleet. She also helped to train reserves and midshipmen.
With the outbreak of the war in Europe, and America's initial effort to protect its shipping while remaining neutral, Talbott was assigned patrol duties in the waters off the Atlantic entrance to the Panama Canal. Following America's entry into the war with the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, the ship took up convoy escort duties between New Orleans, Cuba, and the Canal, helping to protect the sea lanes and to move the vast amounts of men and materiel needed for victory.
Following an overhaul in Boston in January 1944, Talbott sailed 13 February with her first transatlantic convoy, and, after her safe return from Casablanca, took up escort duties with convoys from Iceland southward into the Caribbean. Later in the year, after arrival 15 September, she was converted at New York and reclassified AG-81 25 September 1944. The ship arrived Port Everglades, Florida, 1 November to act as a target ship for torpedo bombers, continuing this important training service until the war's end.
Talbott was decommissioned at Boston on 21 May 1946, stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 19 June 1946 and sold for scrap to the Boston Metals Corporation of Baltimore in Maryland on 22 December 1946.